Saturday, August 27, 2011
The Convent of the Visitation on Spring Hill Avenue was first established in 1833 by Bishop Portier and constructed with the help of his Master Builder Claude Beroujon. It provides one of the most beautiful settings in Mobile. It served as a school from its beginnings until 1953 when it was converted to a retreat house. Students came not just from Mobile but throughout the area and even Latin America. The surviving buildings were constructed between 1854 and 1895. The chapel dedicated to the Sacred Heart was realized through the financial assistance of Madame Camille Marguerite De Poorter and the McGill brothers, Felix and Arthur in 1895. Harrod and Andry of New Orleans served as architects. In 1953 a Candy Shop was established and the Nuns continue to make and sell their delicious "Heavenly Hash" along with linens and other souvenirs at the gift shop.